Monday, March 28, 2011

Poem for Mothers

She came tonight as I sat alone, the girl I used to be
And she gazed at me with her earnest eye and questioned reproachfully;

Have you forgotten the many plans and hopes that I had for you?
The career, the splendid fame, and all the wonderful things to do?
Where is the mansion of stately height with all of its gardens rare?
The silken robes that I dreamed for you and the jewels in your hair?

And as she spoke, I was very sad for I wanted her pleased with me...
This slender girl from the shadowy past the girl I used to be
So gently rising, I took her hand, and guided her up the stair
Where peacefully sleeping, my babies lay innocent, sweet, and fair.

And I told her that these are my only gems, and precious they are to me;
The silken robe is my motherhood of costly simplicity.
And my mansion of stately height is love, and the only career I know
Is serving each day in these sheltered walls for the dear ones who come and go.

And as I spoke to my shadowy guest, she smiled through her tears at me.
And I saw that the woman that I am now, pleased the girl I used to be.

Author Unknown
Taken from the book, Womanly Dominion by Mark Chanski

I have been wanting to write/share a lot of things about this book. I really love this book and highly recommend it to all women, it is about our role as women defined by God. It has been very encouraging and refreshing.

I share this poem because I know many of you who have given up much to stay at home to care for your little ones. Often we have the thoughts "WHO would want this job?", "They think I do nothing satisfying and fun", "I am wasting my education, I could be doing something far greater than changing diapers and feeding babies". It is a difficult task, one I often struggle with daily, that rarely gets recognition and praise. I hope this encourages you, because I know that we (mothers) are very pleased with the life that we have, yet too often get lost in what we have given up (our careers, riches, fame, order, cleanliness, freedom, time, and even showers). We may have given up much, but we have been given even more and better things than we ever could have imagined. People may think we are wasting our education, but we are using it for something far greater, our children's future and eternity.

There is so much from this book I want to share, I hope to share more when I get the chance.

No comments: